Monday, November 5, 2007

Lewis & Clark at School



No, Lewis & Clark weren't really at school today, but we had an incredible vision into the past today with Tony Farkay of the Forest Service. He was so full of knowledge of Lewis & Clark, their time here in the Northwest, and the Indians, it was incredible. It was a long two hours for the little kids, but I was pleased with the way they all sat, and listened. After they had a break, they were all chattering about Lewis & Clark, and it was amazing to me tonight at the dinner table how much our own kids listened and learned.

Alyona & Tanya joined us at school today, and it was fun to have them along. Both sat in the front row, and Mr Farkay had no clue they did not speak English, so he would talk pointedly to them. Kristin kept looking back at me like I should do something, and when I finally went up to the front row to sit with Tanya, Alyona looked at me as if to say "Why is this man speaking right to me?!" It was funny, be we all managed. Kristin helped Alyona nod yes when appropriate, and Tanya smiled her biggest smile like she totally understood.

During lunch, both girls played during recess, and Alyona showed the boys how girls play ball! Some of the boys were really impressed and asked Ryan after class who she was, was she coming back, and commented that she played well, was a team player, and pretty good for a "girl". (Quite a compliment coming from 7th grade boys!!) The girls will start school on Wednesday and unfortunately will not be at Monday school unless they have a break, and join us as a treat. Alexis too, will be going to school. We will miss her pretty smile in class on Monday mornings.

Catching up from yesterday, we woke to a beautiful sunny Sunday morning. As we left for church and headed toward Lebanon, there was a big cloud of fog hanging right over the northwest. We drove right into it, and that's where we stayed all day in the fog.

We enjoyed a great church service, having my best buddy back in church next to me, with her husband Sean, and their 5 kids! We took up two full rows, and I can't even explain the joy I felt as we were standing next to each other after 7 long weeks, singing with one another....with seven kids in front of us, singing as well. I was overcome with joy and the tears began (I know, surprise!), then I realized I was really missing Lynn & Cyril too, and the tears really rolled. Oh boy...then I had seven faces looking at me wondering what my problem was. My own kids, who know I cry at bambie's mother dying, looked at me to see if they needed to be concerned and finally turned around. Three of the five O'Hara kids know this is something that happens once in awhile, but were still concerned. The other two were probably going "Oh boy...this crazy American Lady!" As soon as I finally got them to all quit looking at me, I was able to dry up the tears, and get on to the message.....

After church we spent a wonderful afternoon with Sean & Tracey, as well as friends Jami & Jeremy sharing a big spaghetti lunch. Bill had a nice snooze in their big chair (so you know he's comfortable there!) and Jami & Jeremy headed for home. We stayed around and were thinking about heading out when we decided to stay to visit....the kids were outside playing and we had a great visit and a wonderful evening. We ended having supper with them and then headed for home. It is SO nice to have them home!

1 comment:

The O'Haras said...

I am so blessed to home with friends who care for us and have prayed for us! Thanks for loving my parents and growing attached. It was wonderful to be singing in church again and praising the Lord for friends he has blessed us with!