Thursday, August 14, 2008

Quiet

Michigan Bound Kids...
The kids & I spent yesterday packing, organizing and getting them ready to head out to Michigan today.

We woke at 6am to have some family time together instead of our devotion. We did some praying and before long...three of us were in tears (I'll let you guess who was not!) but it was good for us to have that morning time before Bill left.

Once Bill headed to work, Ryan went to check his mail, and of course kill some bad guys, because it will be two weeks before he can kill army guys on the computer.....and Kristin & I went and snuggled in bed for a bit.

We finished packing their carry ons and I re-vamped their travel books that they took to Canada. We took out some pages, added some new word searches, crosswords, seek & find pages, and of course a note from Mom & Dad.

Around 10:30-we headed to Portland...it was already 80 degrees...and it promised to be 98 before the day was over. We made it to the airport by 12:35 with a stop on the way for some lunch. We checked baggage at the curb and said our goodbyes. Poor Margaret lost her usual fanfare send off, as I was wrapped up in the kids (sorry Margaret!) with Kristin & I having a hard time. Ryan was the strong young man today, and I'm almost sure he matured a few years between Sweet Home & Portland. He got luggage, took his sister by the arm, and off they went through the big revolving door.....

Now...for those of you who know me...know there I was on the sidewalk...watching them head towards security...crying....wishing I'd parked so I could go just those few more feet with them. No such luck though, and I needed to move the car. I'm pretty sure I cried almost all the way to Salem. Poor Bill got his sobbing wife on the phone as I pulled away from the curb. He was a good sport, listened....told me the kids would be fine...all "good husband" statements! I know they are in good hands with everyone they are visiting--but for some reason, I have a hard time letting someone else take care of them. The kids are with me 24/7--homeschool, work, being home...we do it all together! The only other time they've been gone was 6 days to Jen & Brady's...
and I could drive to get them there! Other than a weekend here & there, the only other time was the cruise...and they were here at home with Grandma Richards. So...pray for this Mom that I feel peace and enjoy our time apart. Yes, we will miss one another, but this is good for all of us. Pray for the kids that they have a safe, enjoyable time with their family--and for Bill...as I will drive him crazy...because I won't have anyone to talk to all day!

The kids have landed safely in Michigan and will be spending the next few days with Bill's oldest sister Beth, and getting together with Bill's youngest sister Karen & her son Michael...they will have a great time!! Hoping to get some pictures to post from them...we'll see!!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'll bet is really quiet there! Enjoy your time alone, it goes all too quickly as I remember when you kids headed to Salem to give Dad and I some alone time.