Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The O'Hara's are home!



Monday, September 29th was a LONG but exciting day. We all went to school on Monday morning, and afterward, the O'Hara kids (Declan, Alexis & Kimberly--have to specify, since there are more than 3 now!) along with our kids, headed into Sweet Home. We were on an A&W Rootbeer mission! Sean had seen our blog while in Ukraine, and saw that we had rootbeer floats. He commented on how A&W rootbeer sounded so good, so we promised his A&W on his return. The kids didn't understand why I just didn't buy a two liter at the store. If I had to tell you, you wouldn't understand! At any rate, we headed into Sweet Home, and picked up poster board and then hit A&W for the half gallon of rootbeer, and the kids & I enjoyed a treat of rootbeer floats before heading back to the O'Hara house to decorate for a homecoming!

It was after 3 when we arrived at the house, and Nana was busy tidying up for the return of Sean & Tracey, who have been gone 7 weeks. The kids started on their posters, and Papa, Ryan & Declan made a trip to Lebanon to get helium balloons to put up the driveway and "welcome home" flowers. We enjoyed pizza for supper (courtesy of the pizza man Bill as the kids called him), and then we all headed outside to tie balloons along the drive, and on the garage door. We then spent some time tidying up the house, and the kids were not happy that I kept giving them things to do! For once it wasn't Nana giving them jobs! We all worked together, and then the kids had some time to play. We continued to laugh how I should just stay the night, as I was SO excited that they were coming home. As it got closer to the time of their arrival, Jeremy (a great friend of Sean & Tracey's) came to get their Suburban to go pick them up from the airport....we were now down to about FOUR HOURS! Bill decided to take our kids home around 8PM, so that the O'Hara kids would go to bed, and I stayed to help finish up the loose ends at the house. As I was walking out with Bill to get my things out of the Jeep....he said to me "You might as well stay until they get home, since you will do nothing by toss & turn and keep me awake"....so I decided I would. Bill headed home with the kids, and I went back in the house.

Around 10PM, Lynn (AKA Nana and Tracey's Mom) and I decided it was time to call it quits. We both sat down on the couch with blankets and had the most wonderful visit. I am REALLY going to miss Tracey's folks when they go home.....we all are.

Finally after what seemed like forever, (it was 12:30AM) we heard the truck pull in the drive. We were up and at the door to greet them when they came in. Sean was the first in the door, he hugged Lynn, and ran down the hall to wake the kids. Tracey and the girls came in next, and those were the best hugs ever as tears rolled down our faces...it was SO good to have them home. What happened next, I will have embedded in my mind forever. Those girls (Tanya & Alyona) hugged Papa & Nana, and then Declan, Kimberly and Alexis like I've never seen a hug given. They were truly SO happy to be reunited with their family! It was at that moment that I realized that this truly was orchestrated entirely by God, and brought to a perfect close--no, actually a beginning. Keep this family in prayer as they all begin a wonderful life together. It will be tough bringing a teenager into the mix, when you haven't had her full life to train her up. With lots of prayer, lots of love, patience, and a gentle hand, I know this will all flow together.

I headed home, crying almost all the way, with the wonderful mix of emotions that was running through me....glad to have my "sister" home, thankful to God that their journey, stay, and trip home were all perfectly in His time, thankful that those girls have such a wonderful home, but even more so, thankful that my wonderful husband talked me into staying, as those few moments were priceless to me.

Tracey & I had decided before I left that we needed to spend some time tomorrow (OK today) to visit and catch up. Around 1:30 on Tuesday, the kids & I headed over the O'Hara's. The kids met, and they all hit it off. It is amazing to me how the kids trade off playing with each other. In the past, they have played group games together, but sometimes it will be Kim & Kristin playing dolls & dressup, while Alexis, Ryan & Declan play something, then it will be Kim & Ryan playing, while Alexis, Kristin & Declan do something else. There never seems to be an odd man out--this was also true when two more were added to the mix. The kids hit it off right away. The language barrier was not a problem. Tag, Hide & Seek, swinging each other on the rope swing, playing on the playset...it's all universal. By mid afternoon, they had made up their own hand signals for which games they would play. Showing your hand and counting 1,2,3 with your fingers, meant Hide & Seek. Tapping someone on the shoulder meant tag...it was SO cool to see them all playing, and not caring that they couldn't converse back & forth. Kristin & Tanya hit it off well, and spent lots of time holding hands, swinging outside, and just hanging out. Alyona was great with the kids..and was the "craft girl"...making little booklets for each of the kids. Kristin was very touched when Alyona presented her with one.

We spent the afternoon, and evening together, and then headed home, warm with the thoughts that our family was home, and certainly has grown. Praise God for bringing us to this wonderful family that we call our own.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad that they all made it home safely and I look forward to meeting everyone! Thanks for keeping us updated on their family!

Anonymous said...

My Bible study group have been praying for a safe return and I will be happy to tell them tomorrow morning that all are safe and happy back in Oregon. Hugs to all.