Friday, March 28, 2008

Seven Kids and Tons of Fun!



Today turned out to be great fun! After the snow this morning, the sun came out and it was a beautiful day with a few short hail storms. Sean & Tracey dropped the kids off on their way to take Nana & Papa to the airport. The kids had great fun playing outside.

Alyona & I worked on cell structure, not my favorite part of science, but I had plenty of material on it from my college days, so pulled all that out, and we went through the differences of animal and plant cells...what fun! She worked hard, and we finally made her go outside to join the others, to take a breather. Some of those science words are big for a gal who has only been speaking English for 4-5 months. The are big for me, and I've been speaking English most of my life!! It's just not something that I feel we need to know in our everyday life. Yes, if you're going to be a scientist, but I just don't see me needing to know anything about ribosomes, lysosomes, or mitochondria as I go through life or to the grocery store! I do remember going through this same thing, and not liking it much more than Alyona was liking it! She did two different tests for me, and did great on both. She will do fine, provided the wording isn't too different from what we worked on. You don't realize how using two different words with the same meaning can confuse someone who has just learned English. We pray she will do well on her test for Monday!

After a long playtime outside, the kids headed inside. Four of the girls played barbies in the basement, Alyona & I continued on her science and the boys were playing monopoly. We had supper, and 7 of 9 of us said they wanted waffles & bacon...wow...easy supper for me!! Everyone helped with dishes, and kids went back to what they were doing before supper.

As it got dark, the kids decided to head out to play tag--and it had started to snow...oh what fun they had playing out there in the few flakes that were sticking to the porch, and the railings. They were huge flakes and they had a blast.

Sadly, Sean showed up to take them home...they had a great day together, and it sure went too fast. Oh well, there's always next weekend!

No comments: