Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Lots of "This & That"



I was reminded yesterday that I hadn't blogged in awhile. I almost hate to blog when I don't have pictures to share, however, I was reminded that wasn't important, that it was fun to keep up with our "day to day" with or without pictures. Of course, the pictures are a bonus!

Last Thursday, we joined with the O'Hara's in fellowship, to play, visit, have pizza (slowly becoming the weekly Thursday fare), and for the guys to go to Bible Study here in Sweet Home. Tracey & I hung out with the kids, had a nice visit, and shared some exciting news--"Nana & Papa are coming on the 19th"!! At first the kids were not so sure, because prior to that announcement, Tracey said she was pregnant--wow....Bill had to pick Sean up off of the floor!! Just kidding....but it seems she was the only one who thought that was funny. We are SO happy that Nana & Papa are coming for a visit. (Just for the record Tracey is NOT pregnant---5 is enough!)

Saturday, we had the pleasure of having Audrie. Her mommy works every third Saturday. We missed one Saturday and were shocked at how much she grew, how much she was talking and how many new things she was doing...OK, OK, yes I took pictures...she's too cute not to! She didn't want to smile, as we kept interrupting her play time! She was very into a Fisher Price Tractor with a little girl driving it. Forget the farmer....girls drive tractors! This was our last Saturday with her though, as he Daddy's schedule at work changed so that he can be home to spend more time with her. Great for Audrie, sad for us! We're hoping for Daddy to have court once in awhile so we can have her!! If not, we'll be stealing her a day every so often!

Could you please leave me alone so I can play with my toys?

Monday was a busy home school class day. We took Kim & Declan, since Tracey had Alexis home sick and Kim really wanted to share her "favorite pet & food" in sign language class. Afterward it was beautiful, so we played at Tracey's for awhile, and we had a chance for a nice visit. I had told the kids we weren't staying long, so they "disappear" in hopes I'll forget. It makes for a nice uninterrupted visit for Tracey & I!!

As a stay at home Mom, who home schools her children, I often get caught up in the "negative" and so do our children. What they "didn't do right", what we "need" instead of what we are thankful for, the negative that sometimes comes home from swim practice, from work, from the day in general. I came across this devotional at http://proverbs31.gospelcom.net/ and it was so simple, it was God sent. Try it....it works! It was based on
“Fathers, do not exasperate your children, instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” Ephesians 6:4

Recently, as everyone was just sitting down at the dinner table, the whining began. “I really need a new cell phone”, “I hate my freckles”, “When can I redo my room?”, “Mom we really need to go to the mall”. I was not in the mood to hear “I need ...”, “I want...”, “When can I...” or “I hate...” How dare they start this sacred time of our day with these petty self-centered complaints and requests? Did I mention they were 11 and 13 year-old girls? Rather than letting my frustration get ahead of me and begin the familiar lecture on needs vs. wants, and how we need to appreciate what we have, I quickly changed the tone of the conversation and shared what a great day I’d had. It was nothing special or out of the ordinary. In fact, it was quite ordinary. I shared how thankful I was for each of the very ordinary things or events in my day. Hoping to “bring” them along with me, I handed the proverbial ball to my daughters and asked them to tell me about some things in their day for which they were thankful. Some thought was required at first, but soon they were on a roll. They began rattling off things such as: “I’m thankful for the rain this afternoon,” “I’m thankful mom came and jumped on the trampoline with us today,” “I’m thankful Haley came over today,” “I’m thankful for Bella and that she didn’t run through the invisible fence today,” “I’m thankful everyone worked hard at practice today,” and, “I’m thankful Emily didn’t get hurt today at practice.” Now we were getting somewhere! Through their thankful hearts, they had been “brought” into a loving relationship with God and with each other. We each revisited our ordinary day with a new perspective. We each shared how our lives had been sprinkled with God’s protection and blessings. We all looked back at a day that could have been easily forgotten and turned it into something special. There was no lecture, no hurt feelings, no exasperated children (or parents), just a great ending to a great day for which we were sure to thank God.
Heavenly Father, I am so thankful for Your instructions on raising strong and Godly children. I am also thankful for the example Your Son is to me as I strive to emulate Him in raising children who glorify You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: