Thursday, September 4, 2008

McKenzie Pass & Sisters Wed 9-03-08



We started the day early, packing the cooler as we had no clue where or how long our journey down McKenzie pass would take. As it turned out, we had a beautiful day, and there was little traffic in the pass.



I was a bit surprised at how narrow that road is in places! Thankfully, there is a length limit and no big trucks are back there! I'm not sure how I would handle meeting a big vehicle back there!!

We came across a neat path that we considered taking...but Kristin, Mom nor I were in hiking shoes. We decided the waterfalls would wait until another trip. We also found a lake trail that we'd like to check out in the future.

We stopped at the Obsidian fields, and the lava crater...Ryan had fun crawling all over...Kristin tried, but I called her back as she was in flip flops and a dress! Don't try to tell her she can't do something!! We then meandered down the road to the Observatory....very neat, all made of stone, and every window looked out to a different mountain or butte and the distance from the observatory was noted. The only one we could not see was Mt Hood....at 86 miles away! The day was clear, but not clear enough!!



We then headed into Sisters about 12:45, and hit the city park for lunch. After finding a lost dog, and waiting for its owner, we headed into town for some shopping. Other than a special gift the I picked up....no huge bargains were found, although we always enjoy visiting. Our friend Jennifer Lake was at her gallery, and we had the pleasure of visiting with her again. It's always so fun to see her paintings...wish we could afford them all...and have a house big enough to put them all up. She keeps telling me to "rotate"--but I can't bear to put my favorites away! Maybe I should just get a job at her gallery, and then I could enjoy them all the time!

We are off for a weekend of crabbing at the coast with the Nida clan. Mom & Dad will be joining us...and we will be "cozy" in the trailer. The weather promises to be good, and hopefully, the crabbing will be as good too!! We will keep you posted.

Check back soon!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

See you guys tomorrow! LOVE YA!

Von Rudens said...

That brings back memories of driving over the pass many moons ago when I was much younger and wilder. You know I make it from Bend to Eugene in under two hours?
Hope you enjoyed the coast. We missed you at the Church BBQ...